Example Signs With BMG: Exclusive

Example, the multi-platinum British artist, songwriter and producer, has signed an exclusive global recording deal with BMG, Billboard can reveal.

The first release through the arrangement is Example’s new tune “Every Single Time,” due out next Friday (Sept. 3).

Featuring vocals from Lucy Lucy and production from What So Not, the single is the first lifted from Example’s forthcoming eighth studio album.

Example (real name Elliot Gleave) and his family is now based in Australia, where he struck the recording agreement with the domestic affiliate of BMG.

“I never thought I’d sign another record deal,” he says in a statement. “I’d had so many experiences over the years—many good but also many negative—that I was looking forward to being independent for the foreseeable.”

After meeting Heath Johns, BMG managing director Australia & New Zealand, and the label’s team in Sydney, “I was blown away with their ethos and their ambition,” Example recounts. “I have been given a fair deal that puts me and my team in the driving seat albeit with an incredible world class team at our disposal”.

Ahead of the BMG deal, Example joined the management roster for boutique Brisbane, Australia-based music company Call & Response, alongside U.K.-based Circle Eight.

Example is a bonafide chart star in the U.K., where he has 15 Top 40 hits, including eight Top 10s and a pair of No. 1 singles, with 2011’s “Changed The Way You Kiss Me” and “Stay Awake.”

The Brit Award and NME Award-nominated musician also boasts a U.K. No. 1 album with Playing In The Shadows, one of three Top 10 appearances, and he featured on Calvin Harris’ global hit from 2012, “We’ll Be Coming Back”.

Example joins a BMG label roster of Australian and New Zealand talent including Chet Faker, Hockey Dad, Dope Lemon, Julia Stone, Ladyhawke, Peking Duk (world ex. ANZ), Tim Minchin, Dune Rats, Winston Surfshirt, Nyxen and CHAII.

Last week, the music company announced a recording deal with Angus & Julia Stone for Australia and New Zealand, ahead of the sibling pair’s new album, Life Is Strange.

“Example is a global hitmaker, an incredible artist who has had international radio hits and delivered iconic sets on some of the biggest stages,” comments BMG’s Johns. “The whole team at BMG is incredibly excited to take this new Example music to the world.”

Example’s next LP is expected to arrive in mid-2022.

Nirvana Sued Over Naked Baby ‘Nevermind’ Artwork: Report

The baby teased by a $1 bill dangling on a fishing hook in Nirvana’s Nevermind artwork is all grown up, and he’s reportedly in pursuit of a considerably bigger settlement from the band.

Spencer Elden claims he’s the naked lad in the swimming pool on that famous 1991 album cover, and he’s suing the rockers’ surviving members and Kurt Cobain’s estate for child sexual exploitation, TMZ reports.

Elden is said to be suing the band for violating federal child pornography statutes. He claims he never gave consent to the image, due to being just 4 months of age, nor did his legal guardians, according to TMZ, based on legal documents.

Elden also claims the grunge band promised to cover-up his genitals with a sticker, but it was never incorporated on the classic art.

Now, 30 years later, the famous photo has created a lifetime of troubles for Elden, the docs claims, and he allegedly wants at least $150,000 from each of the band members or, in Cobain’s case, the late singer’s estate.

He’s seeking damages, attorney fees, an injunction to prohibit all parties “from continuing to engage in the unlawful acts and practices described herein,” and a trial by jury, Pitchfork reports, based on its reporters’ own review of the documents. The lawsuit also names photographer Kirk Weddle and the labels behind its release.

“The permanent harm he has proximately suffered includes but is not limited to extreme and permanent emotional distress with physical manifestations, interference with his normal development and educational progress, lifelong loss of income earning capacity, loss of past and future wages, past and future expenses for medical and psychological treatment, loss of enjoyment of life, and other losses to be described and proven at trial of this matter,” the lawsuit reads.

Reps for band members Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and the Cobain haven’t commented on the suit.

Produced by Butch Vig, Nevermind is considered a seminal work, and one laden with some of the standout songs of the grunge era, including “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” “Come as You Are,” “In Bloom” and “Lithium.”

It was funded by $120,000 of Geffen money — almost twice its original budget, and more than 200 times Nirvana’s budget for Bleach, the trio’s less-polished debut released two years earlier on Seattle-based indie Sub Pop.

Nevermind went on to knock Michael Jackson’s Dangerous from No. 1 on the Billboard 200 dated Jan. 11, 1992, the album was entered into the National Recording Registry in 2004 and, ten years later, Nirvana was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 2014.

Kanye West Asks Court to Legally Change His Name to Ye

Kanye just wants to be Ye.

Kanye West filed court documents Tuesday (Aug. 24) to legally change his name.

The Los Angeles Superior Court filing says the 44-year-old wants to get rid of his full name — Kanye Omari West — in favor of just his longtime two-letter nickname, Ye, with no middle name or last name.

The documents, dated Aug. 11 but not sent into the court system until Tuesday, cite “personal reasons” for the change. An email seeking comment from the attorney who filed the documents was not immediately returned.

A judge must approve of the change before it becomes official.

West, who has called himself Ye on his social media pages for years, tweeted that he wanted the change in 2018, saying, “the being formally known as Kanye West. I am YE.”

The moniker was also the title of his 2018 album. He has said in interviews that, along with being a shortening of his first name he likes, that it’s a word used throughout the Bible.

West is in the middle of a divorce with Kim Kardashian West, who did not ask that her last name be changed back to just Kardashian when she filed to split from him in February. The couple’s four children also have his last name.

He has been holding a series of stadium listening parties for his forthcoming 10th studio album Donda, which is scheduled to be released before the end of August.

Post Malone Wine: Here’s Where You Can Find Maison No. 9 Online

If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.

More than a year after he first released his new rosé wine, Post Malone’s “Maison No. 9” continues to be a hot-seller on liquor store shelves across the country. Now, fans of the singer — and fans of rosé — will be able to pick up a bottle of Post Malone’s wine online, saving the headache of heading to the store, only to find the popular wine sold out and out of stock.

Maison No. 9, which was named after Malone’s favorite tarot card (the nine of swords), is a Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah and Merlot blend, with notes of pineapple, pear and strawberry. Despite the fruit-forward notes, the wine has been noted for its surprisingly light taste and dry finish. The 2019 Méditerranée IGP was first released in June 2020 and has been a hot commodity ever since, with fans clamoring for a bottle.

While many fans are drinking the Post Malone rosé, others are purchasing bottles of Maison No. 9 to collect, thanks to the bottle’s sleek, extra-flint glass construction and unique, elongated neck. The bottle is adorned with “battlements” inspired by a medieval castle near the vineyard where the grapes for the wine were grown.

If you want to buy Post Malone’s wine online, there are a few places that have Maison No. 9 in stock. Add a bottle (or two) to your cart and the wine will be delivered directly to your door in as little as 30 minutes (if you live in a major city), or in a couple of days with shipping.

Here is where to find Post Malone’s rosé wine online, along with the latest prices (as of this writing):

Drizly

Drizly sells a 750ml bottle of Maison No. 9 right now starting at $22.99/bottle. Start by entering your zip code and address; depending on where you live, Drizly can deliver wine and spirits to you door in less than an hour. Shop Maison No. 9 on Drizly here.

Vivino

Vivino is where we’ve seen the latest version of Post Malone’s rosé wine online. While the wine is the same beautiful blush pink color and taste, the bottle features a longer sword, with the “Maison No. 9″ title in a new font and smaller size. Vivino sells Maison No. 9 for $22/bottle, though you can take 20% off if it’s your first order on Vivino.com. Shop Maison No. 9 on Vivino here.

Total Wine

Total Wine will ship Maison No. 9 to most states across the U.S., and the site currently sells a bottle for $21.99/bottle. What we like: You can mix and match six bottles or more to bring the price down to just $19.69/bottle. Need it sooner? You can also order the rosé online and arrange for in-person pickup. Shop Maison No. 9 on Total Wine here.

Wine.com

One of our favorite places to discover new wines is at Wine.com. The site has hundreds of unique bottles for sale, and everything is packaged for safe, fast, secure shipping to your door. Right now, you can buy Maison No. 9 on Wine.com for $22.99/bottle. What we like: The site always has promo code deals, so make sure you grab a code to use before hitting the checkout. Shop Maison No. 9 on Wine.com here.

“Rosé is for when you want to get a little fancy,” Malone says in a press release. “It’s a nice switch up and I have been thinking about doing my own wine for a while. Maison No. 9 goes down smooth, and you’re all going to love it!”

Maison No. 9 is a French rosé created and developed by Post Malone in partnership with his long-time friend and entrepreneur James Morrissey, and Dre London, a longtime music manager and Founder of London Entertainment (the three men are pictured in the image at top).

The Players Behind Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow’s ‘Industry Baby’: See the Full Credits

Three weeks after debuting at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, Lil Nas X and Jack Harlow’s “Industry Baby” remains in the chart’s top 10, rising one spot from No. 8 to No. 7 this week.

The song is Lil Nas X’s fourth top 10 hit on the Hot 100 after his record-breaking smash “Old Town Road” feat. Billy Ray Cyrus (19 weeks at No. 1), “Panini” and “Montero (Call Me By Your Name).” It is Harlow’s second top 10 on the tally after “Whats Poppin” feat. DaBaby, Tory Lanez and Lil Wayne, which hit No. 2 in July 2020.

Explore the team of musicians, producers and more behind the track with recording credits provided by Jaxsta below.

Artists:
Main Artist – Jack Harlow
Main Artist – Lil Nas X

Songwriters:
Composer Lyricist – David Biral
Composer Lyricist – Denzel Baptiste
Composer Lyricist – Jack Harlow
Composer Lyricist – Kanye West
Composer Lyricist – Montero Hill

Producers:
Producer – Kanye West
Producer – Take A Daytrip
Production Team – Drew Sliger
Production Team – Ojivolta
Production Team – Roy Lenzo
Programmer – David Biral
Programmer – Denzel Baptiste
Programmer – Raul Cubina
Vocal Producer – David Biral
Vocal Producer – Denzel Baptiste

Engineers:
Assistant Engineer – Ashley Jackson
Assistant Engineer – David Biral
Assistant Engineer – David Dickenson
Assistant Engineer – Drew Sliger
Assistant Engineer – Mervin Hernandez
Mastering Engineer – Eric Lagg
Mixing Engineer – Nickie Jon Pabón
Mixing Engineer – Patrizio “Teezio” Pigliapoco
Recording Engineer – Denzel Baptiste
Recording Engineer – Nickie Jon Pabón
Recording Engineer – Roy Lenzo

Performers:
Background Vocal – Denzel Baptiste
Background Vocal – Jack Harlow
Background Vocal – Montero Hill
Bass – David Biral
Bass – Denzel Baptiste
Keyboards – David Biral
Keyboards – Denzel Baptiste
Trumpet – Ryan Svendsen
Vocal – David Biral
Vocal – Denzel Baptiste
Vocal – Maclean Porter

Labels:
Distributor – Sony Music Entertainment
Label – Columbia

Explore the full “Industry Baby” credits on Jaxsta here.

Megan Thee Stallion Allowed to Release BTS ‘Butter’ Remix, Judge Rules

UPDATE: On Tuesday (Aug. 24), a Texas judge ruled in favor of Megan Thee Stallion’s request to extend the temporary restraining order that would permit her to release a BTS “Butter” remix this Friday.

The court found, the order said, that “failure to enter a temporary restraining order at this time would cause irreparable injury.” It also said Crawford, 1501 Certified Entertainment, J. Prince and 300 Entertainment “have recently engaged and will continue to engage in conduct preventing the release of her new music, which would irreparably damage her goodwill, reputation, and overall music career and infringes on her rights to self-expression through her music.” 

A new hearing on Megan Thee Stallion’s restraining order has now been set for Sept. 10.

Megan Thee Stallion is once again at odds with her label 1501 Certified Entertainment. On Tuesday (Aug. 24), the rapper filed new court documents saying that 1501 is blocking her from appearing on a remix of BTSHot 100-topping hit “Butter” that’s supposed to drop this Friday, asking a Texas judge to step in and apply a previous ruling permitting her to release new music to this instance as well. 

The documents claim that the “Savage” rapper, born Megan Pete, filed an emergency temporary restraining order (TRO) to allow the remix’s release after 1501 CEO, former Major League Baseball star Carl Crawford, and his partner, Rap-A-Lot founder J. Prince, refused to approve the track. In addition, the documents also claim that 300 Entertainment, which distributes Megan Thee Stallion’s music through 1501, co-signed 1501’s decision to block the forthcoming release. 

Megan Thee Stallion claims if the “Butter (Remix)” isn’t able to come out, then her “art will be impacted, the release of the song derailed, and Pete’s goodwill, reputation, and overall career will suffer detrimental, undesirable, and irreversible harm,” according to the filing. It also states that preventing the release will have a “devastating impact to her relationships with her fans and with other recording artists in the music industry.” 

Megan Thee Stallion’s first TRO filed against 1501 came in March 2020 after the rapper filed a lawsuit over unfair contract terms and claiming the label prohibited her from releasing new music. A judge ruled in her favor and ordered 1501 Entertainment “to do nothing to prevent the release, distribution, and sale of Pete’s new records,” along with forbidding any interference with her or her career over social media or through her collaborators or associates. That Megan Thee Stallion claims 1501 is again doing that, could cause trouble for the label if the judge sees it as disobeying the court’s order. 

Crawford’s attempt to force Megan Thee Stallion’s lawsuit to arbitration was previous rejected, and in June sources close to the situation told Billboard that Megan Thee Stallion’s 12-count lawsuit against Crawford and 1501 was moving forward. Sources said then that Megan Thee Stallion was no longer trying to leave 1501, but a legal “dispute about the fairness of her contract” continues and she is still seeking better terms.

In Megan Thee Stallion’s original restraining order request, the rapper called her contract with 1501 “unconscionable,” claiming she was only paid $15,000 from the label after earning more than 1 billion streams and selling over 300,000 individual track downloads — which was combined worth an estimated $7 million.  The contract — which was included in the lawsuit — shows under the 360-deal she signed with 1501, the label receives ownership of her master recordings, 60% of her net recording royalties, 50% of her publishing, 30% of her revenue from merchandising, sponsorships, and endorsements, and 30% of revenue from live performances and side artist engagements over $1,000.

Reps for 1501 Certified Entertainment, 300 Entertainment BTS did not respond to request for comment at time of publishing.

As ACM Awards Move on to Fourth Broadcast Partner, How Do Other Music Awards Shows Compare?

The Academy of Country Music announced last week that it is moving its ACM Awards to Amazon Prime Video next year. The show aired on one of the three legacy broadcast networks continuously for 50 years.

The move will likely be closely watched by the entire industry. If the show holds its audience, and if top artists continue to support it, other awards shows may seriously consider streaming partners. If the show falters, other shows may be reticent about following suit.

Amazon Prime Video will be the ACM Awards’ fourth broadcast partner, which is more than any other major music awards show. Let’s see how the other shows compare:

4 broadcast partners:

ACM Awards: The show aired on ABC from 1972-78, on NBC from 1979-97, and on CBS from 1998-2021. It is moving to Amazon Prime Video next year.

3 broadcast partners:

CMA Awards: The show aired on NBC from 1968-71, on CBS from 1972-2005, and has aired on ABC since 2006.

Billboard Music Awards: The show aired on Fox from 1990-2006 and, following a brief hiatus, aired on ABC from 2011-17 and has aired on NBC since 2018.

2 broadcast partners:

Grammy Awards: The show aired on ABC in 1971-72 and has aired on CBS continuously since 1973. Prior to the 1971 inception of the live Grammy telecast, NBC aired a series of Grammy-branded music/variety specials dubbed The Best on Record.

Latin Grammy Awards: The show aired on CBS from 2000-04 and has aired on Univision since 2005.

CMT Music Awards: The show aired on CMT exclusively from 2002-21. (The show was known as the CMT Flameworthy Video Music Awards for the first three years.) The show is set move to CBS next year.

Soul Train Music Awards: The show aired on WGN America (and in first-run syndication) from 1987-2007 and has aired on BET since 2009.

1 broadcast partner:

American Music Awards: The show, created by Dick Clark, has aired on ABC continuously since 1974. That’s longer than the network’s association with the Oscars, which moved to ABC in 1976.

MTV Video Music Awards: The show has aired on MTV continuously since 1984.

BET Awards: The show has aired on BET continuously since 2001.

BET Hip-Hop Awards: The show has aired on BET continuously since 2006.